Thursday, January 20, 2011

Oracle Database Installation Notes (Loopback Adapter)

I found out that after installing Oracle Database 10g on a VM machine and restarting the machine, the database service won't start.  A colleague of mine determine that my problem is located on me not installing a Loopback Adapter prior installing the Oracle Database.  According to an Oracle Documentation, prior to installing Oracle Database you may need to determine whether or not you will need a loopback adapter installed.  I also found out that after installing the loopback adapter and then reinstalling the Oracle Database, the installation warning regarding network configuration management is gone.
A loopback adapter is required if:
  • You are installing on a DHCP computer, or
  • You are installing on a non-networked computer and plan to connect the computer to a network after installation.
I also found a good tutorial on how to install a Loopback Adapter here

1 comment: